Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

piezoelectric material polarization

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good evening,

I need to model a 3D-MEMS device composed by several piezoelectric parts, but none of them is poled in the positive z-direction: some of them have the polarization lying along the positive x-axis and some other in the negative x-axis.

In 2D there's a "material orientation" tool that allows to switch easily the orientation, but it is not present in the 3D mode. Is there something similar or should I play with the [e]-coefficient matrix?

Thanks a lot and have a nice modeling

Andrea Mazzalai

3 Replies Last Post Oct 8, 2011, 11:14 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 2, 2010, 8:18 a.m. EDT
Hi

check the forum, and read doc on the Coordinate Systems, this allows you to define your own coordinate system and then apply the PZT orientation thereafter

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the forum, and read doc on the Coordinate Systems, this allows you to define your own coordinate system and then apply the PZT orientation thereafter -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 6, 2010, 11:34 a.m. EDT
Thanks a lot

That worked and it is very useful...

Thanks a lot again

Best regards
Thanks a lot That worked and it is very useful... Thanks a lot again Best regards

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 8, 2011, 11:14 p.m. EDT

Hello Andrea Mazzalai,

I also have a problem about the polarization of piezo material. In 2D, this the "orientation" means "polarization"? If I need to set the polarization to be parallel to y axis, do I need to set the orientation to be zx plane or xz plane?

Thank you.
Hello Andrea Mazzalai, I also have a problem about the polarization of piezo material. In 2D, this the "orientation" means "polarization"? If I need to set the polarization to be parallel to y axis, do I need to set the orientation to be zx plane or xz plane? Thank you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.