Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Interpretation of charge distribution in magneto-optical metasurface simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone, I am studying a magneto-optical metasurface consisting of Co disks deposited on a thin SiO2 layer, a thin Co layer and a massive Au layer. I'm using the Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain module. A circularly polarized wave is incident perpendicularly on the metasurface (I set Ex=1 and Ey=j; is that correct?). When I plot the calculated charge distribution with (nxemw.Px+nyemw.Py+nzemw.Pz), I got a dipolar charge distribution, so I guess I got a snapshot of the charge distribution at a time that I don't know. This distribution is shown in the attached figure. If I had seen a time-averaged charge distribution I would have expected a monopolar distribution. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help

Alberto

2 Replies Last Post Aug 23, 2023, 7:23 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 months ago Aug 22, 2023, 3:21 p.m. EDT
Updated: 8 months ago Aug 22, 2023, 4:09 p.m. EDT

Fields computed in the frequency domain formulation are complex valued. Your plot of the normal component (that's the component of the vector along a surface normal, not to be confused with the "norm" of a vector!) of the polarization P is not a time-averaged value. Rather, it is simply a plot of the real-value part of a complex term. If you want to plot the magnitude of the P vector, plot emw.normP instead. If you want the magnitude of the specific vector component that you described in your post, plot abs( ) of the expression that you wrote.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Fields computed in the frequency domain formulation are complex valued. Your plot of the normal component (that's the component of the vector along a surface normal, not to be confused with the "norm" of a vector!) of the polarization P is *not* a time-averaged value. Rather, it is simply a plot of the real-value part of a complex term. If you want to plot the magnitude of the P vector, plot emw.normP instead. If you want the magnitude of the specific vector component that you described in your post, plot *abs( )* of the expression that you wrote.

Posted: 8 months ago Aug 23, 2023, 7:23 a.m. EDT

Fields computed in the frequency domain formulation are complex valued. Your plot of the normal component (that's the component of the vector along a surface normal, not to be confused with the "norm" of a vector!) of the polarization P is not a time-averaged value. Rather, it is simply a plot of the real-value part of a complex term. If you want to plot the magnitude of the P vector, plot emw.normP instead. If you want the magnitude of the specific vector component that you described in your post, plot abs( ) of the expression that you wrote.

Thank you for your precise and clear answer.

Alberto

>Fields computed in the frequency domain formulation are complex valued. Your plot of the normal component (that's the component of the vector along a surface normal, not to be confused with the "norm" of a vector!) of the polarization P is *not* a time-averaged value. Rather, it is simply a plot of the real-value part of a complex term. If you want to plot the magnitude of the P vector, plot emw.normP instead. If you want the magnitude of the specific vector component that you described in your post, plot *abs( )* of the expression that you wrote. Thank you for your precise and clear answer. Alberto

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.