Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling torsion on a cylinder

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to inquire about modeling torsion on a cylinder within a 3D Solid Mechanics model. Specifically, I have a cylinder where one end (boundary 3) is fixed, and I would like to apply torsion to the other end (boundary 4) using a Rigid Connector. The deformation of both ends should occur only in the tangential direction, meaning there should be no displacement in the radial (u_r) or axial (u_a) directions.

However, it seems that I am unable to set u_r and u_a as zero on boundary 4 when I apply the Rigid Connector to the same boundary. Is there a way to define these boundary conditions?

To provide more context, here is my current setup: Hyperelastic material-Neo-Hookean Fixed constraint- boundary 3 Rigid Connector - boundary 4 - connection type (Rigid) - center of rotation (centroid) - prescribed displacement (0,0,0)

Could you please advise on how to define these boundary conditions appropriately?

1 Reply Last Post Jul 18, 2023, 10:43 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 months ago Jul 18, 2023, 10:43 a.m. EDT

The rigid connector completely controls all displacement components on that boundary - that is why you cannot add any other constraints.

The conditions on the rigid connector that you describe above are sufficient to provide the state you are looking for.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
The rigid connector completely controls all displacement components on that boundary - that is why you cannot add any other constraints. The conditions on the rigid connector that you describe above are sufficient to provide the state you are looking for.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.