Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Extract stiffness matrices and mode shapes from model

Hendrik Mechanical Engineering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am working with a 2-step model, in which Eigenfrequency and mode shapes are calculated for a prestressed plate structure.

• The first step is Stationary, which computes the effect of prestress on the system.
  • The second step is Eigenfrequency, which computes the frequencies and modes.

The second step should conduct the following analysis: ( (K+G) - w^2 M ) x = 0 where K is the standard stiffness matrix, G is the geometric stiffness matrix which is computed based on the prestress, w is the eigenfrequency, M is the mass matrix and x is the mode shape.

I would like to extract K, G and x using LiveLink commands, to use them in an optimization loop that runs in MATLAB.

Two questions: 1. When using mphmatrix(model,name,'Out',{'Kc'}) on the eigenfrequency step, one can extract "K" - is this only the aforementioned K or does it also contain "G" ? 2. How does one get the eigenvectors? I was not able to extract them ...

Gratefully looking forward to your replies,

Kaap H .

0 Replies Last Post Jul 3, 2023, 5:40 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Hendrik

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.