Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PIN diode microheater simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I have been doing the PIN microheater simulation to check the temperature profile of heat generated in the intrinsic region due to voltage applied on the P and N region of the PIN diode. To simulate the structure, I have used the comsol multiphysics i.e semiconductor and heat transfer module.

In the model design, the PIN diode is embedded inside the SiO2 substrate with the Au contact pads connected to the P and N region. A forward bias voltage is applied on the PIN diode and the structure is simulated to check the heat generated on the top centre surface of SiO2 substrate.

I have created the required doping profile and able to generate the I-V characteristic plot of PIN forward bias diode. But I am unable to simulate it to check the heating profile of diode.

I have defined the PIN diode as heat source in heat transfer module and the heat flux boundary condition to the surface of SiO2 substrate. But the simulation is getting failed. Please suggest what boundary condition need to be applied to get the heating profile due to applied voltage on P and N region of PIN diode.

I have attached the comsol file for the reference.

Thanks Shashank

0 Replies Last Post Jun 17, 2022, 1:55 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Shashank Gupta

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.