Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

In what situation does higher power provide lower peak temperature?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I've ran a simulation regarding microwave heating with different powers. The results shows that higher power reaches its peak temperature faster than lower power (which is normal) but the values of peak temperature for higher power is lower. Can anyone tell me why is that? I am heating a group of samples

Thank you

1 Reply Last Post May 27, 2022, 1:26 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago May 27, 2022, 1:26 p.m. EDT

I encourage you to post your model to the forum for a more reliable assessment. I (and probably no one else here either, unless they know you) simply have no idea of the details of your specified mechanisms for the heat absorption and loss that are involved, or how much energy you are applying overall in each case. I suspect some of those things might matter. Does your higher power in a shorter time actually correspond to less energy delivered? The temperature of an object depends not just on how much power is applied, but for how long, and how it otherwise interacts with its environment. And that's just on the physics side of things. That ignores the potential for thousands of kinds of possible errors that could arise in the way you have set up the problem. Posting your model to the forum is thus a good idea.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I encourage you to post your model to the forum for a more reliable assessment. I (and probably no one else here either, unless they know you) simply have no idea of the details of your specified mechanisms for the heat absorption and loss that are involved, or how much energy you are applying overall in each case. I suspect some of those things might matter. Does your higher power in a shorter time actually correspond to less energy delivered? The temperature of an object depends not just on how much power is applied, but for how long, and how it otherwise interacts with its environment. And that's just on the physics side of things. That ignores the potential for thousands of kinds of possible errors that could arise in the way you have set up the problem. Posting your model to the forum is thus a good idea.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.