Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

laval nozzle in navier stokes. No convergence

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hey,

I want to simulate the velocity filed of a naval nozzle (a nozzle which narrows to a minimum width and than widen out again to get a velocity with mach>1)
I build it in 2D axial symmetry and revolve it to 3D. The problem is, that there is always an error like:
Error:
Failed to find a solution:
No convergence, even when using the minimum damping factor.
Returned solution has not converged.

I don't know where the problem is. So I build just a simple cylinder, but there it works perfectly. Then I narrow the cylinder in the middle just a little bit, but then I always get these errors. The more narrow it is and the finer the mesh is, the worse is the convergence.
But it should be possible to simulate a simple velocity through a channel with changing profile?...

0 Replies Last Post May 25, 2012, 4:18 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tilmann John

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.