Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time dependent surface concentration?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All

I'm trying to test a cylindrical model against an analytical solution for a simple diffusion model and would like the surface concentration of one of the variables to be a ramp. I generate a ramp function but can't use a boundary condition for a variable like:

1e-6*ramp1

Its displayed in red and the Jacobian can't be evaluated. How can I make the surface concentration a function of time?

Many thanks for your help with this steep learning curve...

Mark

2 Replies Last Post May 25, 2012, 10:34 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 24, 2012, 6:02 p.m. EDT
Hi

your ramp1() is an operator you need to define a variable to drive the ramp.

Either you have a defined "Parameter" ie Param, and you adapt Param from the steady state solver continuation tab
then you write

1e-6[your_units]*ramp1(Param)

or you have a time dependent analysis, in which case you use t in seconds to drive your ramp opertor with a

1e-6[your_units]*ramp1(t[1/s])

the t[1/s] is to remove any units and use a time stepping in seconds as operators do not expect units as arguments

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi your ramp1() is an operator you need to define a variable to drive the ramp. Either you have a defined "Parameter" ie Param, and you adapt Param from the steady state solver continuation tab then you write 1e-6[your_units]*ramp1(Param) or you have a time dependent analysis, in which case you use t in seconds to drive your ramp opertor with a 1e-6[your_units]*ramp1(t[1/s]) the t[1/s] is to remove any units and use a time stepping in seconds as operators do not expect units as arguments -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 25, 2012, 10:34 a.m. EDT
Many thanks, that seemed to do it. Now I've to try to understand why point graphs don't adopt the new integration interval etc...

Cheers Mark
Many thanks, that seemed to do it. Now I've to try to understand why point graphs don't adopt the new integration interval etc... Cheers Mark

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.