Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

minimizing the number of meshes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to do a stress analysis of Material. There are two phases in my model: one is imported from a real material (using imaging technique) and the other one is created in COMSOL 4.2a. But when I am trying to do mesh for this model it seems I keep getting error messages (e.g. Failed to respect boundary element edge on geometry face or edge is much shorter than the specified minimum element size). Then I tried to put the maximum element size at 5 and minimum element size 1. This time I did not get any error and the mesh is done. But when I try to solve it, at a certain period it shows the message- Out of memory during LU factorization. So now the problem is the number of element is too high to solve the problem, though I have a RAM of 16 GB. Can anybody suggest me how I can minimize the mesh elements so that I can solve this problem? I have also attached a doc file with screenshots of both the mesh settings and solving error's windows.

3 Replies Last Post May 24, 2012, 1:04 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 23, 2012, 1:34 a.m. EDT
Hi

free form surfaces are often delicate to mesh. My way is to start by using the default COMSOL settings, starting from normal and step by step finer.

Another consideration is to start mesh the surface of your free form, then the volume, finally the external blocvk in three steps manually. The external block can often be rather coarse compared to the finer free form surface

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi free form surfaces are often delicate to mesh. My way is to start by using the default COMSOL settings, starting from normal and step by step finer. Another consideration is to start mesh the surface of your free form, then the volume, finally the external blocvk in three steps manually. The external block can often be rather coarse compared to the finer free form surface -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 23, 2012, 8:19 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Thanks for your response. Can you please tell me how I can do that in the model builder? Which options should I use to make this? I was using two tetrahedral meshes for two domains - one for the free form structure (with finer mesh) and the other for external block (with coarse mesh). But it did not work out.

Shihamul
Hi Ivar, Thanks for your response. Can you please tell me how I can do that in the model builder? Which options should I use to make this? I was using two tetrahedral meshes for two domains - one for the free form structure (with finer mesh) and the other for external block (with coarse mesh). But it did not work out. Shihamul

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 24, 2012, 1:04 a.m. EDT
Hi

cutting up your geoemtry can be achieved by adding a few blocks in COMSOL to intersect the existing Domains (in Union mode)

for the mesh, you cannot mix directly quad or swept mesh with thets, without forst converting the common surface/boundary mesh to tri, there is a convert option in the mesh right click drop down list

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi cutting up your geoemtry can be achieved by adding a few blocks in COMSOL to intersect the existing Domains (in Union mode) for the mesh, you cannot mix directly quad or swept mesh with thets, without forst converting the common surface/boundary mesh to tri, there is a convert option in the mesh right click drop down list -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.