Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermoelastic damping - nonlinear geometry - Jacobian variable problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I try to do a modal analysis thermoelastic damping in 4.2 within a membrane spring. I adapted the model
www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/1439/

and it worked quite well with the equation for the thermal source (even though I thought in 4.x it should be different variables)
-smsld.iomega*(rho*Cp*T+T0*smsld.Ent)

My problem now is that I need to include nonlinear geometry and I always get the error that the Jacobian variable cannot be evaluated.
- Modal analysis including nonlinear geometry but without the thermal source does work.
- Modal analysis including the thermal source but just linear geometry does work.

Does anybody have an idea what the issue might be?

Thanks a lot!
c

3 Replies Last Post May 21, 2012, 3:11 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 22, 2012, 3:04 p.m. EDT
No idea?

I tried the analysis with solid - same result
I tried it using two steps (first static with nonlinear geometry, second eigenfrequency with linear geometry) - no impact of the prestress.

The error message I get is

Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian.
- Variable: solid2.Ent
- Geometry: 1
- Domain: 1 2 3 4

I don't understand why entropy cannot be evaluated...
I'm running out of ideas what I could change... :(
No idea? I tried the analysis with solid - same result I tried it using two steps (first static with nonlinear geometry, second eigenfrequency with linear geometry) - no impact of the prestress. The error message I get is Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian. - Variable: solid2.Ent - Geometry: 1 - Domain: 1 2 3 4 I don't understand why entropy cannot be evaluated... I'm running out of ideas what I could change... :(

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 23, 2012, 5:09 a.m. EDT
Update: I get a result when I just use

-solid2.iomega*(rho*Cp*T)

as heat source, all reference temperatures =20K and T0 is 0K. Although, this cannot give the correct value, it suggests that the error is within solid2.Ent which cannot be evaluated, I guess.

Btw: the thermoelastic damping from the equation above is too low.
Update: I get a result when I just use -solid2.iomega*(rho*Cp*T) as heat source, all reference temperatures =20K and T0 is 0K. Although, this cannot give the correct value, it suggests that the error is within solid2.Ent which cannot be evaluated, I guess. Btw: the thermoelastic damping from the equation above is too low.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 21, 2012, 3:11 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I want to give you an update. My supervisor got help from the support:

In

-solid2.iomega*(rho*Cp*T+T0*solid2.Ent)

the variables solid2.iomega and solid2.Ent are unknown. Replace it by

-solid2.iomega=-2*pi*i*freq
solid2.Ent=solid2.alpha11*solid2.sx+solid2.alpha12*solid2.sxy+solid2.alpha13*solid2.sxz+solid2.alpha12*solid2.sxy+solid2.alpha22*solid2.sy+2*solid2.alpha23*solid2.syz+solid2.alpha13*solid2.sxz+solid2.alpha33*solid2.sz

and it should work. In fact, the eigenfrequency still does not consider the nonlinear stiffness of the spring. At least, it computes the thermoelastic damping..
Hi, I want to give you an update. My supervisor got help from the support: In -solid2.iomega*(rho*Cp*T+T0*solid2.Ent) the variables solid2.iomega and solid2.Ent are unknown. Replace it by -solid2.iomega=-2*pi*i*freq solid2.Ent=solid2.alpha11*solid2.sx+solid2.alpha12*solid2.sxy+solid2.alpha13*solid2.sxz+solid2.alpha12*solid2.sxy+solid2.alpha22*solid2.sy+2*solid2.alpha23*solid2.syz+solid2.alpha13*solid2.sxz+solid2.alpha33*solid2.sz and it should work. In fact, the eigenfrequency still does not consider the nonlinear stiffness of the spring. At least, it computes the thermoelastic damping..

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.