Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problems computing the volume change of a domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm modelling a pressurized sphere within an elastic domain, in 2D axi-symmetric Structural Mechanics (v4.2). I'm trying to check the volume change of the sphere.

There are analytic solutions available when the sphere is a cavity so I have set a E_sphere=1 Pa and I have tried several of the methods that were already mentioned in some of the threads in the forum:
-> 1) in Results / Volume integration - expression (1) of the sphere with frame Material / Spatial and calculate the difference

-> 2) same as above with Results / Surface integration - expression (1) of the 'sphere' with "compute volume integral"

-> 3) in Results / Line integration - expression 'solid.disp' of the boundary of the sphere with "compute surface integral"
This option should -as far as I understood- give me the volume change of the sphere directly (please correct me if I'm wrong)

My problem is that there is still quite a lot of discrepancies between this method, even when I'm trying to refine the mesh. The second method (with surface integration) is the best but there is still ~25% error with the analytical result ! Am I doing something wrong ??

What method would you recommend to calculate the change in volume of a domain in 2D axisym. ??

Thanks a lot !

Karen

0 Replies Last Post Mar 27, 2012, 8:34 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Karen Pascal

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.