Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Adding a new dependent variable in a 2D axial symmetry NS problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I'm working on a particular case that requires to add a new dependent variable.
Actually, my problem is a 2D axial symmetry one. So i have to calculate the radial and axial velocity and the pressure. They depend on the r and z coordinates only. However, in my problem i also need to take in account the azimuthal velocity that also depends on the r and z coordinates only.

So i want to add this azimuthal velocity and the corresponding equations in the Equation System Subdomain Settings ( i need to add an equation that correspond to the navier stoke equation along the azimuthal coordinate).

Is it possible to do this ? (because when i'm adding a dependent variable in the model navigator i get an error)

Thank you for your help

Etienne

2 Replies Last Post Feb 29, 2012, 11:56 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 29, 2012, 10:28 a.m. EST
If there is a variation in the azimuthal angle, I don't think you can consider it 2D axial symmetric anymore, you will have to go to 3D.

In other words, if there is a circular motion around the line of symmetry, it will need to be modelled using a 3D model.

-Jaap
If there is a variation in the azimuthal angle, I don't think you can consider it 2D axial symmetric anymore, you will have to go to 3D. In other words, if there is a circular motion around the line of symmetry, it will need to be modelled using a 3D model. -Jaap

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 29, 2012, 11:56 a.m. EST
But i don't have variation in the azimuthal angle.
I just have an azimuthal velocity and i would like to add this variable too input the effect of that velocity my Navier Stokes equations.

(My only simplification in the NS cylindrical equations is that d/dtheta - the variation of the variables along the azimuthal coordinate- is zero)
But i don't have variation in the azimuthal angle. I just have an azimuthal velocity and i would like to add this variable too input the effect of that velocity my Navier Stokes equations. (My only simplification in the NS cylindrical equations is that d/dtheta - the variation of the variables along the azimuthal coordinate- is zero)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.