Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing around a contact point

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

In my 2D model, I have a circle contacting with a straight boundary. The solution also shows quite singular behavior around there. I need to assign extremely fine mesh there to get stable solution.

What I'm doing now is to manually draw an array of dummy points in the region as control points. However, since this array of points has dimension much smaller than the whole model, I often get the error message "failed to insert point". I must play with the point array to make it work. I would like to know if there's any guide to avoid such error.

Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post Feb 29, 2012, 2:26 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 29, 2012, 12:56 a.m. EST
Hi

you can define a mesh size on the edge and ask for fine mesh first on the edge, that makes nodes that are then used for the surface / volume mesh done afterwards

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you can define a mesh size on the edge and ask for fine mesh first on the edge, that makes nodes that are then used for the surface / volume mesh done afterwards -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 29, 2012, 2:26 p.m. EST
Thanks, Ivar!

I read the documentation about this mesh point control method on boundaries. It should be helpful for my case. It seems however I need to assign a distribution of points with gradual increasing density. When the density is too high compared with subdomain dimension, I have the "can not insert point" error as well.
Thanks, Ivar! I read the documentation about this mesh point control method on boundaries. It should be helpful for my case. It seems however I need to assign a distribution of points with gradual increasing density. When the density is too high compared with subdomain dimension, I have the "can not insert point" error as well.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.