Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What's the noise like result caused by?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

As attached is the simulation result from solving PDE. It has strong noise like feature. This result is definitely not satisfactory. Does anybody has similar experience? What caused this kind of result?

Thanks for any hint!

2 Replies Last Post Feb 16, 2012, 3:41 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2012, 2:08 a.m. EST
Hi

if you do not tell a bit moe, and add a scale its really difficult for us to propose anything, apart it's a nice rainbow type artwork ;) It looks like numerical noise around your mesh density. Sometimes its worth to turn on Wireframe and turn off the smoothing to check what is happening at mesh level directly

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you do not tell a bit moe, and add a scale its really difficult for us to propose anything, apart it's a nice rainbow type artwork ;) It looks like numerical noise around your mesh density. Sometimes its worth to turn on Wireframe and turn off the smoothing to check what is happening at mesh level directly -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2012, 3:41 a.m. EST
Thanks for the suggestion!

I did exactly what you suggested, and found it is due to too low density of mesh. It seems I always need to have an estimation of the solution behavior, so that at least proper mesh density can be applied.
Thanks for the suggestion! I did exactly what you suggested, and found it is due to too low density of mesh. It seems I always need to have an estimation of the solution behavior, so that at least proper mesh density can be applied.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.