Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Creating Selections by Description

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello there,

I have a complex geometry loaded from SolidWorks. During the import, I clicked create selections and I ended up with 852 items. Now I want to assign materials and so on to these items. As there are a lot of similar elements, I think it is efficient to create explicit selections first and then assign materials etc. to them.

When I am in the material view and click on the drop down menu to choose a selection for the current material, I get a list of all 852 items. The important thing is that they are named with the same names as I used in SolidWorks, i.e. I can understand what I'm selecting. This is good but I cannot them simply add a whole bunch of items to my material.

Now here is the problem. When I want to make an explicit manual selection list that combines several of these item, I get presented only with a list of integers and no longer the text names. This is virtually impossible to work through. They light up in the graphics view but as many parts are very small, this is actually invisible.

What can I do? Thank you!

2 Replies Last Post Oct 5, 2011, 4:45 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 5, 2011, 4:39 a.m. EDT
Instead of using explicit selections, you can define a union of the named selections from you geometry (Model-->Defintions-->Selections-->Union) for each material, then assign each union selection to the corresponding material nodes. This way, you only have to deal with SolidWorks' geometry names, not the domain numbers of Comsol's "analyzed geometry".
Instead of using explicit selections, you can define a union of the named selections from you geometry (Model-->Defintions-->Selections-->Union) for each material, then assign each union selection to the corresponding material nodes. This way, you only have to deal with SolidWorks' geometry names, not the domain numbers of Comsol's "analyzed geometry".

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 5, 2011, 4:45 a.m. EDT
Thank you!!!
Thank you!!!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.