Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frequency dependent capacitance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

for quite a while now, I am trying to model the frequency behaviour of a capacitor (3D) but hadn't had success yet. So what I would like to do, is to get the capacitance depending on the frequency. So it would be nice to get a curve, but to get the capacitance at a certain (fixed) frequency would also be sufficient in the beginning. I also the forums for several weeks and read the docs without getting much further. It looks like as if several people where trying the same but without any success.

Simulating the DC capacitance was not a big deal since there are some nice examples in the model library and on the web, so here are some questions concerning an AC analysis:

First, I'm not sure whether I can only choose electrostatics (es) as physics, since I would like to have a frequency or time dependent result on the one hand, but es contains also frequency/time dependent studies on the other hand.

Can I do this with a preset study ("time dependent") and by putting a time dependent signal at one port? Or do I need to use the "frequency domain" study for that? So far, I tried both ways in many different variations but always end up with some error messages. When I used the time dependent study, I applied a sinusoidal signal at one port, when I used frequency domain I entered the desired frequencies.

Also, is it correct that you have to divide the imaginary part of the admittance by the angular frequency to get the capacitance? I could only find examples for versions 3.x on how to do this, but not on 4.x and since the syntax has changed I'm stuck here as well.

Thanks a lot in advance!

0 Replies Last Post Jun 14, 2011, 1:19 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jimbo Jones

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.