Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Enforcing incompressibility in the strain energy of a hyperelastic material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I was wondering how incompressibility can be enforced for a hyperelastic material. I have run into these issues:

1- For a Neo-Hookean model, I changed the detF to 1 in Equation System. Interestingly, my material behaved incompressible withOUT this change too; i.e. the volume was conserved without setting detF=1, or if there was a change it was too tiny. This seems to be odd to me. How can this possible?

2- I tried some custom strain energy models and again set detF=1 in the Equation System, but the volume was not conserved.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can give a hint.

Thanks
J.W.

0 Replies Last Post Jun 14, 2011, 1:18 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jessica

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.