Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Any good ideas: point dipole on dielectric surface: Solver does not find a solution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,
I am learning COMSOL 4.1 and I reached a point where I am stuck.

I am trying to model the following scene in a3D geometry with the COMSOL electrostatics package:

A sphere of dielectric material A is placed on a substrate. Inside the sphere I place an electric point dipole.
The substrate B is dielectric, too, and has a thin surface layer C with a different dielectric constant. On top of the surface, surrounding the sphere is air. The substrate has a imaginary component of the dielectric constant.

I have made the substrate approx. 100 times larger than the sphere to aprox. infinity. Ultimately, I want to integrate over E^2 (E=electric field) in the absorbing dielectric substrate), but first I need to find the potential.

Now my problem is that beside the initial values I cannot change any other properties of the Electrostatics parameters. The boundary conditions seem to be "locked". Charge conservation is applied to all domains and for the E field COMSOL uses the constitutive relation of the relative permittivity. Zero charge applies to all outer boundaries and I cannot change it.

As a result I do not know what to change or how to approach the problem when the solver fails. I tried changing the mesh size, but that did not help.

How would you proceed?

Many Thanks for any suggestions!

Best,
james

PS:
I have attached the COMSOL file in case you are interested.

1 Reply Last Post Jun 14, 2011, 2:32 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 14, 2011, 2:32 p.m. EDT
Hi All,

I am sure my problem is easy to fix for an experienced user.

How to set proper boundary conditions for the model?

Best,
james
Hi All, I am sure my problem is easy to fix for an experienced user. How to set proper boundary conditions for the model? Best, james

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.