Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

frequency superior limit of RF analysis in Windows XP 32-bit

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I'm doing some simulations about electromagnetic wave (visible spectrum, about 1e14Hz ~ 1e15Hz) propagation in a silicon waveguide.
And I wonder if there is a frequency superior limit for COMSOL RF module analysis(3D model) .
Because my system is XP 32-bits, and when I do the simulation, it shows constantly "out of memory", especially when the MESH is at a highly refined level.

Waiting sincerely for your suggestions.

1 Reply Last Post Jun 9, 2011, 8:37 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 9, 2011, 8:37 a.m. EDT
Hi

for me there is no limit in the physics w.r.t. wavelength size. Th limit is coming from the fact that you need idealla 5-10 mesh elements per wavelength (in the material) so the higher the frequency the denser the mesh, and then you hit easily a RAM limit.

For such simulations optical RF, I suggest strongly 64 bit OS and dozens of Gb RAM, and even if you go to 3D cluster might be required. This is not a "COMSOL" limi, its FEM and RAM & HW limitations

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for me there is no limit in the physics w.r.t. wavelength size. Th limit is coming from the fact that you need idealla 5-10 mesh elements per wavelength (in the material) so the higher the frequency the denser the mesh, and then you hit easily a RAM limit. For such simulations optical RF, I suggest strongly 64 bit OS and dozens of Gb RAM, and even if you go to 3D cluster might be required. This is not a "COMSOL" limi, its FEM and RAM & HW limitations -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.