Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Joule heating and thermal expansion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Model details are........
Physics used=Joule heating and thermal expansion

A 2D model with rectangle.
Size- ---width=100, Height=500

Material =Pt.

2V is applied to one side boundary and other side is ground.

Mesh=Triangular

I want to check temperature distribution and change of resistance with respect to temperature.

Error= Fail to find solution. maximum number of newton iterations reached. Returned solution has not converged

Please tell me the solution of this error and how to do the electro-thermal analysis for this model.

2 Replies Last Post May 14, 2011, 1:19 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 13, 2011, 4:46 p.m. EDT
Hi

you do not say how you block your model, be sure that you know how many dependetn variables you have, and that for all you have given reasonnable and enough boundary conditions to make the solution unique.

i.e. if the model implies material deformations, then have you fixed the model somewhere, if you have a temperature, is it fixed somewhere, or do you define enough flux terms ? ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you do not say how you block your model, be sure that you know how many dependetn variables you have, and that for all you have given reasonnable and enough boundary conditions to make the solution unique. i.e. if the model implies material deformations, then have you fixed the model somewhere, if you have a temperature, is it fixed somewhere, or do you define enough flux terms ? ... -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 14, 2011, 1:19 a.m. EDT
hi
thanks for reply.

hi thanks for reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.