Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem visualizing Object in .stl format

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to import to Comsol quite a complex object in .stl format and Comsol gives me this error message:

Error: 2181
Problem visualizing geometry object.
Using wireframe rendering.

As the message states, the object is then visualized with a wireframe rendering and it is simply IMPOSSIBLE to set the boundaries or the mesh parameters. Comsol gets stuck or crashes.

Any hint/tips to solve this problem that is making me struggle?

Thanks a lot.

PM

4 Replies Last Post May 6, 2011, 8:31 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago May 6, 2011, 7:59 a.m. EDT
Generally speaking, the stl format is not a very good way to import a geometry into an analysis package. Your posting does not specify where your stl file is coming from, but if it was generated in a CAD package I would recommend, if at all possible, trying one of the formats supported by the CAD Import Module: Parasolid, sat, step, IGS.
Generally speaking, the stl format is not a very good way to import a geometry into an analysis package. Your posting does not specify where your stl file is coming from, but if it was generated in a CAD package I would recommend, if at all possible, trying one of the formats supported by the CAD Import Module: Parasolid, sat, step, IGS.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 6, 2011, 8:01 a.m. EDT
Hi

My advice try to use a true 3D cad format, stl is (as dxf) not really there for 3D, it's that COMSOL cannot always identify where are the closed volumes from the wireframe info it receives, the format is not robust enough

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi My advice try to use a true 3D cad format, stl is (as dxf) not really there for 3D, it's that COMSOL cannot always identify where are the closed volumes from the wireframe info it receives, the format is not robust enough -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 6, 2011, 8:24 a.m. EDT

Hi,

thanks for your reply! The .stl format was generated by Amira. This software exports in .surf, .iv, .obj, .unv, .vrml and .wrl. In general, the two latter formats can be read by Comsol, but when I try to import them it says: "corrupted .vrml file". So it seems that .stl is my only choice.
[QUOTE] Generally speaking, the stl format is not a very good way to import a geometry into an analysis package. Your posting does not specify where your stl file is coming from, but if it was generated in a CAD package I would recommend, if at all possible, trying one of the formats supported by the CAD Import Module: Parasolid, sat, step, IGS. [/QUOTE] Hi, thanks for your reply! The .stl format was generated by Amira. This software exports in .surf, .iv, .obj, .unv, .vrml and .wrl. In general, the two latter formats can be read by Comsol, but when I try to import them it says: "corrupted .vrml file". So it seems that .stl is my only choice.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago May 6, 2011, 8:31 a.m. EDT
Unfortunately, what I said about the stl format is also true about the vrml format. Stick to a true CAD format if possible. See Wikipedia for more info on the roots of the stl format (stereolithography) and vrml format (web graphics).
Unfortunately, what I said about the stl format is also true about the vrml format. Stick to a true CAD format if possible. See Wikipedia for more info on the roots of the stl format (stereolithography) and vrml format (web graphics).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.