Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Disk space reached while matrix assembly

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a huge simulation with a big mesh and during the calculation the programm crashes when the virtual memory reaches ca. 27 gb. The error said that disk space exceeded while matrix assembly. But normally my system does not limit the virtual memory. I am running Comsol 4.1.0.185 under Windows 7 with 12 gb ram and 500 gb free disk space.
I would be thankful for an immediate answer.

Kind regards

Daniel

4 Replies Last Post May 6, 2011, 9:06 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 5, 2011, 9:48 a.m. EDT
Hi

have you checked the swap space? , you might be limited to 1-2 times your total ram,
This is an OS setting, you can increase it in the Control panel settings somewhere ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked the swap space? , you might be limited to 1-2 times your total ram, This is an OS setting, you can increase it in the Control panel settings somewhere ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 5, 2011, 9:56 a.m. EDT
Thanks for your answer, but I already done that. I change the virtual memory from system controlled to max. 100 gb but the problem is still the same.
Thanks for your answer, but I already done that. I change the virtual memory from system controlled to max. 100 gb but the problem is still the same.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 5, 2011, 12:04 p.m. EDT
Could my problem with the virtual memory be a Windows 7 bug? I personally prefer Linux, but I have to use Windows 7 64 bit at work.

I try to upload the simulation file here but it is 144 mb large:

dl.dropbox.com/u/9291271/versuch.mph

Maybe this would help somebody to understand my problem.
Could my problem with the virtual memory be a Windows 7 bug? I personally prefer Linux, but I have to use Windows 7 64 bit at work. I try to upload the simulation file here but it is 144 mb large: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9291271/versuch.mph Maybe this would help somebody to understand my problem.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 6, 2011, 9:06 a.m. EDT
It's me again. :)
I think I solved my problem. I changed the assembly block size to 1000 under the advanced stationary solver. Now Comsol computes a result for my simulation. But could anybody explain to me what I've really done? I just desperate changed some values which make no sense to me and had luck with the choice of assembly block size 1000.
It's me again. :) I think I solved my problem. I changed the assembly block size to 1000 under the advanced stationary solver. Now Comsol computes a result for my simulation. But could anybody explain to me what I've really done? I just desperate changed some values which make no sense to me and had luck with the choice of assembly block size 1000.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.