Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

AFM Modelling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I´m trying to model a mechanical contact problem. I attached here the 2D and the 3D version of it.

You have three entities:

a SPHERE that indents a

CELL that lies on a

SUBSTRATE.

The problem is parametric stationary where the parameter that varies is the value of a prescribed displacement of the indenter inside the cell. I´m interested on the raction forces of the system in the (respectively for the 2D and 3D models) y component and z component.

The two models have the same geometry and the same material properties, then the problem is solved in the same manner (therefore I would like to get the same reaction forces).
If in the two models I plot the summation of the variable solid.RFy and solid.RFz respectively over the boundaries of the sphere I don´t get the same result.

In order get the same I wrote a stange formulas on the 2D model. i.e.

(-2solid.RF/solid.d)*(pi/2)RADIUSIND*10^-6

With this I get the same of the 3D model.

now

the factor 2 is just for symmetry
solid.RF/solid.d is a factior that I found in the model library hyperelastic seal (the measure unit of this member is N/m)
(pi/2)RADIUSIND*10^-6 this is the value of a quarter of circonference of the indenter (that part where I have stored the reaction forces)

Do you think that I ´m right?
If not, what should I do?

Regards,
Giulio

1 Reply Last Post Apr 27, 2011, 7:42 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 27, 2011, 7:42 a.m. EDT
Hi

if you have a cylindrical symmetry and action going along the direction of the symmetry axis, you should rather use 2D-axi. Because 2D is for long (default mostly 1[m] in the paper direction = z ) and does not give you the cylindrical symmetry. This will give you differences (sometimes not) on the results when comparing to the true 3D model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have a cylindrical symmetry and action going along the direction of the symmetry axis, you should rather use 2D-axi. Because 2D is for long (default mostly 1[m] in the paper direction = z ) and does not give you the cylindrical symmetry. This will give you differences (sometimes not) on the results when comparing to the true 3D model -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.