Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am running a coupled problem, where I am using the Physics Transport of Diluted Species, Heat Transfer as well as general PDEs.

I got an error message saying

Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian
- Variable: mod1.c
- Global scope

where c is the dependent variable for the transport module.

Following some posts here on this error message, I have checked all the variable definitions several times and made sure that they are not simple, like a, b...

Could anyone please give me some clue as what things I should look for for this kind of error?

Your response is much appreciated.

2 Replies Last Post Apr 27, 2011, 10:27 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 26, 2011, 4:20 p.m. EDT
Hi

COMSOL uses the Jacobian of all dependent variables to help the solver iterate.

So if you define your "c" in such a way that it might not be derivable at least once (i.e. but not only: step function, discontinuities ...) then you might get this error message, hope it helps ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi COMSOL uses the Jacobian of all dependent variables to help the solver iterate. So if you define your "c" in such a way that it might not be derivable at least once (i.e. but not only: step function, discontinuities ...) then you might get this error message, hope it helps ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 27, 2011, 10:27 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Thank you very much for the reply.

The c is the concentration, which is the dependent variable of the transport module. I don't seem to have something that is discontinuous....

This is like debugging and so frustrating.. hehe.
Hi Ivar, Thank you very much for the reply. The c is the concentration, which is the dependent variable of the transport module. I don't seem to have something that is discontinuous.... This is like debugging and so frustrating.. hehe.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.