Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to plot the "total stored energy" in BAW device

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to obtain the Q_factor for my BAW device. Based on the tutorial, the Q_factor of the device is obtained from two parameters, total power dissipation (Q_tot) and total stored energy (W_tot) and the equation will be

Q_factor= angular frequency * W_tot / Q_tot

After simulation, I can obtain and plot the angular frequency and Q_tot, however I couldn't obtain the W_tot.
Does anyone know how to obtain W_tot in piezoelectric Device.

Thanks

3 Replies Last Post Apr 21, 2011, 4:56 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 15, 2011, 3:39 p.m. EDT
Hi

COMSOL gives you mostly densities (or values per element) that you must integrate over the volume or the voundaries where they apply. that is the easiest way to get to the "total" values.

in V4 define an operator on the correct Entity(ies), then define a global variable based on the applicatio of the operatoron the COMSOL evaluated (power/energy/current ...) density. then you can refer to this global value at will, in equations or as postprocessing items

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi COMSOL gives you mostly densities (or values per element) that you must integrate over the volume or the voundaries where they apply. that is the easiest way to get to the "total" values. in V4 define an operator on the correct Entity(ies), then define a global variable based on the applicatio of the operatoron the COMSOL evaluated (power/energy/current ...) density. then you can refer to this global value at will, in equations or as postprocessing items -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2011, 3:45 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Thanks for your answer. I still have an question. Is that possible to plot total stored energy (W_tot) in the frequency domain? I can obtain total dissipation power but W_tot. Every time I try to plot, it just show error.
I was wondering if there any other way to obtain total stored energy of a device.

Thanks
Hi Ivar, Thanks for your answer. I still have an question. Is that possible to plot total stored energy (W_tot) in the frequency domain? I can obtain total dissipation power but W_tot. Every time I try to plot, it just show error. I was wondering if there any other way to obtain total stored energy of a device. Thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2011, 4:56 p.m. EDT
Hi

in the case of frequency sweep solver, most variables are given in "average" and rms values, the names are slightly changed, but they should appear in the lists (often _ave in suffix)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in the case of frequency sweep solver, most variables are given in "average" and rms values, the names are slightly changed, but they should appear in the lists (often _ave in suffix) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.