Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

General Extrusion Variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a 1D model (time dependent) and a 2D model (stationary). For the 2D model, I have computed the expression u(x,y).

For the 1D model, i need a function defined as follows:

g(x,t)=u(x,y)

For example, g(2,3)=u(2,3), x=2,y=t=3

Would it be possible to do so through coupling variable?

3 Replies Last Post Feb 16, 2011, 4:59 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2011, 1:56 a.m. EST
Hi

I believe so, you need to define how your "y" is reduced, that is is it simply dropped or do you integrate along y ?

this defines if you should us a linear or general Extrusion or Projection

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe so, you need to define how your "y" is reduced, that is is it simply dropped or do you integrate along y ? this defines if you should us a linear or general Extrusion or Projection -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2011, 3:23 a.m. EST
Thanks for replying. I didn't mean to do integration, what i meant is something like:

I have an equation involving u(x,y), but instead of using a stationary solver I reformulate the equation as something like u(x,t), where the variable y plays a similar role as t, and hence solvable using the time dependent solver in 1D model.

I have the other model, where i would need this variable u, but this time, it is a 2D model, non time dependent. This is why i need to convert u(x,t) back to its original form, u(x,y). Is it possible to do this within GUI, or do i have to do it via MATLAB?

I apologize of my explanation sounds vague or ambiguous. I would try to clarify further if necessary.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for replying. I didn't mean to do integration, what i meant is something like: I have an equation involving u(x,y), but instead of using a stationary solver I reformulate the equation as something like u(x,t), where the variable y plays a similar role as t, and hence solvable using the time dependent solver in 1D model. I have the other model, where i would need this variable u, but this time, it is a 2D model, non time dependent. This is why i need to convert u(x,t) back to its original form, u(x,y). Is it possible to do this within GUI, or do i have to do it via MATLAB? I apologize of my explanation sounds vague or ambiguous. I would try to clarify further if necessary. Thanks in advance.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2011, 4:59 a.m. EST
Hi

indeed I do not believe I really understand what you intend to do. But finally COMSOL basics is a PDE solver tool for a given subset of useful functions, of the type used for common physics (that fits in the global or coefficient form. Then the naming and differentiation between time and spatial variables is basically a convention issue, the math behind does not really change

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed I do not believe I really understand what you intend to do. But finally COMSOL basics is a PDE solver tool for a given subset of useful functions, of the type used for common physics (that fits in the global or coefficient form. Then the naming and differentiation between time and spatial variables is basically a convention issue, the math behind does not really change -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.