Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

about "the direction of the normal component on interior boundaries"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I see such kind of introduction about the direction of the normal component on interior boundaries:

In ID:
- unx, the outward unit normal seen from the upper domain
- dnx, the out ward unit normal seen from the lower domain

1) What's the meaning of upper/ lower domain? For example, if I draw two domains, domain 1 and domain 2, the upper domain is domain 1 and the lower is domain 2 (judged according to the domain number)?

2) If (1) is correct, what's the meaning of "seen from the upper / lower domain"? For example, "the outward unit normal seen from the upper domain (domain 1)" refers to the outward unit normal pointing out from the lower domain (domain 2) ?

2 Replies Last Post Jan 31, 2011, 10:22 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2011, 1:18 a.m. EST
Hi

I understand it as :

see from current domain: "up" is "outward" of current domain, "down" is "inward",

hence up for one of two ajacent domains is down for the other

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I understand it as : see from current domain: "up" is "outward" of current domain, "down" is "inward", hence up for one of two ajacent domains is down for the other -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2011, 10:22 a.m. EST

Hi

I understand it as :

see from current domain: "up" is "outward" of current domain, "down" is "inward",

hence up for one of two ajacent domains is down for the other

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi, thank you!
I see, in the example of freeze-drying of comsol 3.5a, a variable, named Q_s, defined as down(fluxz_ht)*dnz+down(fluxy_ht)*dny+down(fluxx_ht)*dnx
so, if "down" is "inward" of current domain, how did comsol know which domain is current domain?

by the way, it is quite difficult to understand this part just reading the user's guide.
[QUOTE] Hi I understand it as : see from current domain: "up" is "outward" of current domain, "down" is "inward", hence up for one of two ajacent domains is down for the other -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi, thank you! I see, in the example of freeze-drying of comsol 3.5a, a variable, named Q_s, defined as down(fluxz_ht)*dnz+down(fluxy_ht)*dny+down(fluxx_ht)*dnx so, if "down" is "inward" of current domain, how did comsol know which domain is current domain? by the way, it is quite difficult to understand this part just reading the user's guide.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.