Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

The geometry size affect the implementation of initial values(Initial Conditions)?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I defined a Random Function as the Initial Values (Initial Conditions),

the Random Function is: Function name: init, Number of arguments: 2, Distribution: Uniform, Mean: 0.5, Range: 0.02,
The Geometry is a square,

When I click the compute button, strange thing happened to the Results, that is

When the side length of the square is 1[cm], the compute result at time 0 is the same as the initial values (the Random function),
but when I reduced the side length, for example, set the side length of the square as 100[um], the result at time 0 is different from the initial values.

It was so strange! Why the geometry size affect the result at time 0 (or the initial values)?

I use the PDE general form, comsol 4.0

Thank you!

0 Replies Last Post Jan 18, 2011, 9:40 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Xiaoyi Yu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.