Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to change coodinate system in COMSOL 4.1?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using 1D geometry and want to change the axis from "x" to "r" .
Thanks

5 Replies Last Post Jan 18, 2011, 6:03 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2011, 7:35 a.m. EST
Hi,

the best is to do that when you generate your model (and not later) because then there might be things leftover. When you set-up the physics, you have the screen with the dependent variables, you update change the name here , before going to the selection of the solver

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi, the best is to do that when you generate your model (and not later) because then there might be things leftover. When you set-up the physics, you have the screen with the dependent variables, you update change the name here , before going to the selection of the solver -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2011, 7:41 a.m. EST
This is how I change the dependent variables (u), I'm looking to change the independent variables (x)
Thanks
This is how I change the dependent variables (u), I'm looking to change the independent variables (x) Thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2011, 8:03 a.m. EST
Hi

you are right, then I have a doubt where it is in v4, maybe its not possible ? I do believe I did it in 3.5a though.
Just now I do not have access to my COMSOL ;)

if you want "r" it's for 1D axi, but then your equations are also tuned for 1D-axi I do believe

--
Good luck
Ivar

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you are right, then I have a doubt where it is in v4, maybe its not possible ? I do believe I did it in 3.5a though. Just now I do not have access to my COMSOL ;) if you want "r" it's for 1D axi, but then your equations are also tuned for 1D-axi I do believe -- Good luck Ivar -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 18, 2011, 2:21 a.m. EST
I think this is possible, since when I import working v3.5 file to v4.1 with 'r' instead of 'x' it's working. Looking at the m.file (import file from v3.5 to v4.1 =>save as m.file=> open m.file) brings me nowhere since, I think, the change between "x,y,z" coordinate to "r,y,z" is hidden in mphbin file.
I think this is possible, since when I import working v3.5 file to v4.1 with 'r' instead of 'x' it's working. Looking at the m.file (import file from v3.5 to v4.1 =>save as m.file=> open m.file) brings me nowhere since, I think, the change between "x,y,z" coordinate to "r,y,z" is hidden in mphbin file.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 18, 2011, 6:03 a.m. EST
Hi

probably is, then ask support, I cannot tell. Anyhow I tend to stick to the default as much as possible, there are so many formulas therein, that it's often easier to adopt COMSOL's ways than rather try to adapt to some article o your own way

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi probably is, then ask support, I cannot tell. Anyhow I tend to stick to the default as much as possible, there are so many formulas therein, that it's often easier to adopt COMSOL's ways than rather try to adapt to some article o your own way -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.