Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parametric sweep doesn't seem to sweep

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi !
Running a heat transfer study in comsol 4.0a I only get one solution, the first value in my sweep range.

I need to impose a high temperature to one domain so I solve this by adding a heat source that disappeares after a short time. This removes any trouble with steap gradients in initial BC's.

I have defined a global parametre called "Heat". Then I impose the heat through a step function called "E_heat" which lasts for 1.e-7 seconds and then disappears.
In 4.0a I can set the time, start value and end value so I go from "Heat" to zero at a given time step.

The "E_heat" is valid as a heat source for a specific domain in my model. This gives me the correct temperature to this domain.

Now I want to run several simulations, increasing the value for "Heat" for each step and I though this was possible through parametric sweep.

In the parametric sweep I want my parameter "Heat" to follow this: range(3.5e10,4,7.0e19), but when I evaluate the solutions the only one precent is the one for 3.5e10. As I understand it should run 4 or 5 simulations, increasing the value for "Heat" each time.

Would be nice if someone could give me any hints on what I'm doing wrong or if I have misunderstood the Parametric sweep functionality ?

Thanks
Nils Eivind

4 Replies Last Post Nov 29, 2010, 6:23 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 29, 2010, 1:27 a.m. EST
Hi

It's probably due to a weakness in the early 4.0a version, if you make a first solver sequence and then update the main node to repeat a parametric sweep, then the lower data fields in the to be linked sub-nodes of your solver sequence are not updated. So you need to update twice by hand, or delete your sequence (and then also delete all your results setup, be aware !)

best workaround get latest 4.1 and patch it to the last week release, it's without these issues

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi It's probably due to a weakness in the early 4.0a version, if you make a first solver sequence and then update the main node to repeat a parametric sweep, then the lower data fields in the to be linked sub-nodes of your solver sequence are not updated. So you need to update twice by hand, or delete your sequence (and then also delete all your results setup, be aware !) best workaround get latest 4.1 and patch it to the last week release, it's without these issues -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 29, 2010, 2:03 a.m. EST
Thanks Ivar

I noticed that need for a "double action" on the sequence the other day and tried to update both, but apparently not with success.

Have 4.1 installed so I will give it a go this afternoon.

NE
Thanks Ivar I noticed that need for a "double action" on the sequence the other day and tried to update both, but apparently not with success. Have 4.1 installed so I will give it a go this afternoon. NE

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 29, 2010, 4:54 a.m. EST
Hi

and do not forget to apply the patch 4.1.0.112 from the main web site

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi and do not forget to apply the patch 4.1.0.112 from the main web site -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 29, 2010, 6:23 a.m. EST
Works like a charm !

Upgrades installed as well.

Thanks again Ivar.

NE
Works like a charm ! Upgrades installed as well. Thanks again Ivar. NE

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.