Discussion Locked This discussion was locked by a forum moderator.

Permanent Magnet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello I'm new using COMSOL and although I've been reading the manual there are some questions I still cannot find an answer. If anyone knows the answer please help me out.

I'm modeling a permanent magnet, cylindrical magnet, and I'm going to put a coil outside the magnet and moving it to model the voltage in the coil.

The question I have are the following.

1. The magnetic lines should be closed paths, but inside the magnet the direction is the opposite to the direction outside the magnet. Is that normal in COMSOL? By the way, why if I set the residual magnetism of the permanent magnet, Br, to 1T, the maximum value of magnetic field is not 1 anywhere?

2. I'm testing with a value of 1T for residual magnetism in the permanent magnet. I think that's a value, not an expression, but if I write 1 in the value field the magnetic field seems to be parallel to "r" (horizontal axis) and if I write 1 in the "value" field, the magnetic field seems to be parallel to "z" vertical axis. Can you tell me how should I deal with this? Is there any part in COMSOL manual where it is specified how COMSOL assigns values for this? What if a want to set the magnetic field with 45 degrees respect to the r axis? or set a magnetic field in a magnet where the upper half is north pole, and the lower half is south pole?

3. I need to calculate the magnetic flux (in this case sum of all the "z" component of magnetic field multiplied with the area of transversal section (in this case pi* R^2). I'm working in the axisymmetry mode, but although I'm reading the manual, I still don't understand how to do the integration, because I need to integrate over an area perpendicular to the plane I'm working at. Can you give me some help with this? I need to integrate the z component of magnetic field through a circular area, with radius R and which center is over the z axis. I need the integration of the z component of the magnetic field through the perpendicular area the vectors are crossing (magnetic flux) for all the z values along the axis. I'm still reading but I'd really appreciate your help, specially in this topic!

P.S. I'm attaching some pictures of my screen, showing the permanent magnet and the physic domain settings to better explain my questions.

Thank you all

0 Replies Last Post Sep 3, 2010, 4:10 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Igor P.

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.