Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mesh on cut plane

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

i have a problem doing mesh on cut plane!

The problem is simple. I have a cylindrical billet and i have to look the mesh on the cut plane, to do some measurements.

for example: i cut the billet on xz plane, but i'm not able to see the inner mesh; i only see the distribution of selected properties (like temperature)

any ideas?

tnx for your help!

3 Replies Last Post Jul 21, 2012, 6:29 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 20, 2012, 2:10 p.m. EDT
Hi

it depends if you have a plane that is defined in the geometry, hence is understood as a boundary for COMSOL will therefore have nodes and mesh elements attached, or it's a Data Set Cut plane cuting the results DB via a virtual plane, in which case there is NO mesh attached to this cut plane only interpoalted variables from the mesh elements that interfer with the "cut plane"

Sometimes to see the mesh inside you need to add a filter with a Boolean varaible of the type (X>0.5), or define a view with some hidden domains to reveal the internal boundaries

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it depends if you have a plane that is defined in the geometry, hence is understood as a boundary for COMSOL will therefore have nodes and mesh elements attached, or it's a Data Set Cut plane cuting the results DB via a virtual plane, in which case there is NO mesh attached to this cut plane only interpoalted variables from the mesh elements that interfer with the "cut plane" Sometimes to see the mesh inside you need to add a filter with a Boolean varaible of the type (X>0.5), or define a view with some hidden domains to reveal the internal boundaries -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 21, 2012, 5:55 a.m. EDT
I'm using a data set cut plane... now i understood! thanks!

Monday at work i'll try to use the method described.

Sorry but i'm new to comsol and in FEM softwares like deform and forge the approach is little bit different :)
I'm using a data set cut plane... now i understood! thanks! Monday at work i'll try to use the method described. Sorry but i'm new to comsol and in FEM softwares like deform and forge the approach is little bit different :)

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 21, 2012, 6:29 a.m. EDT
Hi

I agree that COMSOL has a more modern and logical approach to Physics simulation (before starting to think FEM), but for those of us having worked extensively with "older" FEM programmes, approaching the simulation issue purely from the FEM theory (math before physics, or mesh before physics), we are often disturbed when starting with COMSOL. Until we get the catch of the COMSOL approach (now also used by other FEM programmes) Geometry - Physics - BC/loads - (Mesh = discretization as for signal sampling) - Solving and Postprocessing.

I have now learned to build my physics and load models purely on the geoemtry or Entity base, meshing is the last step of "sampling" before solving, and for deciding theoptimum mesh density one must have an idea of the solution, hence loop a couple of times mesh - solve - postprocess

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I agree that COMSOL has a more modern and logical approach to Physics simulation (before starting to think FEM), but for those of us having worked extensively with "older" FEM programmes, approaching the simulation issue purely from the FEM theory (math before physics, or mesh before physics), we are often disturbed when starting with COMSOL. Until we get the catch of the COMSOL approach (now also used by other FEM programmes) Geometry - Physics - BC/loads - (Mesh = discretization as for signal sampling) - Solving and Postprocessing. I have now learned to build my physics and load models purely on the geoemtry or Entity base, meshing is the last step of "sampling" before solving, and for deciding theoptimum mesh density one must have an idea of the solution, hence loop a couple of times mesh - solve - postprocess -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.