Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plotting streamline of magnetic flux density in 2D slice of 3D permanent magnet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm modeling various neodymium magnet systems in 3D but am trying to obtain 2D slice graphs of the magnetic flux density field using streamline. When I make the streamline plot in 3D, the field seems to be correct (symmetric and through the middle of the magnet). When I try to create a 2D plot of the flux density field using streamline, however, my plot seems random and doesn't fit with my 3D results.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to obtain a 2D plot of magnetic flux density lines using a slice from a 3D model?

Attached is my model.

3 Replies Last Post Jun 11, 2012, 4:16 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 11, 2012, 3:08 p.m. EDT
Hi

if it's a 2D Data set surface cut you are plotting, do not forget to adapt the streamline flux variables, as these by default chooses x-y and you by cutting your volume might well have selected another cut plane,

Also select carefully the options of the Data-set surface coordinates (s1,s2, directions of the arrows) or any predefined plane pair selection

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if it's a 2D Data set surface cut you are plotting, do not forget to adapt the streamline flux variables, as these by default chooses x-y and you by cutting your volume might well have selected another cut plane, Also select carefully the options of the Data-set surface coordinates (s1,s2, directions of the arrows) or any predefined plane pair selection -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 11, 2012, 3:28 p.m. EDT
Wow, I totally missed that. Fixed my problem, thanks so much!
Wow, I totally missed that. Fixed my problem, thanks so much!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 11, 2012, 4:16 p.m. EDT
Hi

you are not the only one, I believe we have all bumped into several of these issues ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you are not the only one, I believe we have all bumped into several of these issues ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.