Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

extract a x-value at y=0 from a cut line 2d

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone.

How can i extract a x-value at y=0 in a cut line 2d?

thanks

3 Replies Last Post May 29, 2012, 2:59 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 29, 2012, 9:44 a.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not sure I undertand what you mean, if you define a 2D cut line you must give the equation in x,y hence you can invert it.

You can also change the plot x-Axis expression, see the line graph node tabs

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I undertand what you mean, if you define a 2D cut line you must give the equation in x,y hence you can invert it. You can also change the plot x-Axis expression, see the line graph node tabs -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 29, 2012, 12:41 p.m. EDT
I am looking at the bending of a beam in 2d. I made a cut line 2d through the beam and plotting the strain as a function of the arclength. I want to find the x-value where the strain is zero. How is that possible?

thanks
I am looking at the bending of a beam in 2d. I made a cut line 2d through the beam and plotting the strain as a function of the arclength. I want to find the x-value where the strain is zero. How is that possible? thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 29, 2012, 2:59 p.m. EDT
Hi

I might be making a simple problem complicated, but if you are looking for a zero of a existing variable you can express that variable^2 (squared) along your cut line and ask for the minimum with a min() operator, then the
"min(varable^2,x)" and "min(variable^2,y)" etc will give you the coordinates of the minimum.
Check the doc, search for "min(" the way to get the coordinates is explained in a few places)

At least that works for a Domain and boundary, so why not for a Cut line ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I might be making a simple problem complicated, but if you are looking for a zero of a existing variable you can express that variable^2 (squared) along your cut line and ask for the minimum with a min() operator, then the "min(varable^2,x)" and "min(variable^2,y)" etc will give you the coordinates of the minimum. Check the doc, search for "min(" the way to get the coordinates is explained in a few places) At least that works for a Domain and boundary, so why not for a Cut line ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.