Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Joule Heating Mandatory Temperature Boundary and Power Input

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good Afternoon,

I have been building a model for a while now involving a heated wire inside a bulk material. I have run into two major issues with respect to the model and I cannot figure out if it is a result of missing material properties or the way the internal formulas are working.

The first is that while I have a current running through my wire (which generates heat) I am interested in the heat dissipation through the bulk material. I would like to have equal parts natural convection boundaries and thermal insulation boundaries, however the model will not run without at least one contant temperature boundary. The model already recognizes what my initial temperatures are at every boundary, but the fact that the constant temperature boundary is required skews the data I am searching for with this model. What is causing this to happen and is there anything that can be done?

Second, while I am currently using a terminal and ground pair of boundaries for my electrical input, the model will not resolve if I try to set my terminal with a power input. It runs fine with a voltage or current input, but refuses to cooperate with a value in Watts. Similar to the above question, is this a function of the software that I have overlooked, or is there a missing piece?

Thanks again,

0 Replies Last Post Apr 19, 2021, 4:10 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nicholas Zonta

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.