Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Converting Composite Layered Shell Properties to Bulk Anisotropic Properties

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I've created a Composite material in the COMSOL Composite module and I would like to make an equivalent anisotropic bulk material to simulate in Solid Mechanics to get a rough idea of the effect of geometric features that can't be modeled as shells. Using the Cell Periodicity I have already created the anisotropic material. Since this doesn't account for different fiber orienations, I was wondering if anyone has been able to create a material that can account for this or knows how?

Thanks, Wil

1 Reply Last Post Aug 16, 2020, 2:35 p.m. EDT
Pawan Soami COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Aug 16, 2020, 2:35 p.m. EDT

Dear William,

As far as I understand you have a layered composite material having anisotropic material in each layer computed using Cell Periodicity node. This composite material you have been able to model using Layered Shell or Shell interface but finding it difficult to model using Solid Mechanics interface.

It is in general not straigtforward to create a 3D solid model corresponding to a Layered Shell model of a layered composite material. The complexity depends not only in the number of layers and fiber orientation of each layer but also the shape of the geometry. If you are modeling flat plate then fiber orientation in each layer can be defined using built-in coordinate systems e.g. Base Vector System however if the geometry is curved e.g. cylindrical, spherical or any other curved geometry then you need to first solve for coordinate system in each layer using Curvilinear Coordinates interface. Then this coordinate system can be used to define the fiber orientation of each layer in the 3D solid model of a layered composite.

I have explained you the procedure in general. Please let me know if you are experiencing any specific issue while implementing the same.

Best regards,
Pawan Soami

Dear William, As far as I understand you have a layered composite material having anisotropic material in each layer computed using Cell Periodicity node. This composite material you have been able to model using Layered Shell or Shell interface but finding it difficult to model using Solid Mechanics interface. It is in general not straigtforward to create a 3D solid model corresponding to a Layered Shell model of a layered composite material. The complexity depends not only in the number of layers and fiber orientation of each layer but also the shape of the geometry. If you are modeling flat plate then fiber orientation in each layer can be defined using built-in coordinate systems e.g. Base Vector System however if the geometry is curved e.g. cylindrical, spherical or any other curved geometry then you need to first solve for coordinate system in each layer using Curvilinear Coordinates interface. Then this coordinate system can be used to define the fiber orientation of each layer in the 3D solid model of a layered composite. I have explained you the procedure in general. Please let me know if you are experiencing any specific issue while implementing the same. Best regards, Pawan Soami

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.