Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Define conductivity for a dielectric domain in Electrostatics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am using comsol 5.5 electrostatics module. I use it to extract capacitance between different terminals.

I came across a problem where a Si (silicon) block domain needs to be defined in the electrostatics node between two terminals. The relative permitivity is used in this node. But it's also a doped silicon which has low resistance that acts as a conductor. However, electrostatics node is not accounting for this.

May I know how can I incorporate Silicon's electrical conductivity? Shall I couple another AD/CD sub module to do this?

Attached is an image, and the COMSOL file.

Thanks, Stacey

1 Reply Last Post Jul 29, 2020, 2:14 p.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Jul 29, 2020, 2:14 p.m. EDT

Hi,

you must use electric currents (ec) then. Make sure that all domains also the insulators have a very small conductivity, otherwise the solver will not converge.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, you must use electric currents (ec) then. Make sure that all domains also the insulators have a very small conductivity, otherwise the solver will not converge. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.