Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Evaluate surface charge density on a plate capacitor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to evaluate the surface charge density on one plate of a parallel plate capacitor and using the Electrostatics module for this purpose. I have constructed a dummy model which just consists of a rectangular block, where one side is a terminal at 1V and the opposite side is grounded.

When I try to evaluate the surface charge density for plotting in the following manner "es.nD" I get an error:

Cannot evaluate expression.

Undefined variable.

• Variable: comp1.es.nD

• Geometry: geom1

• Domain: 1

I have no trouble in plotting the normal component of the displacement field "es.Dy". But for the actual case that I'm trying to model, I need to evaluate the surface charge density at a flat interface inbetween a capacitor, so the term of interest to me would be: "up(es.Dy)-down(es.Dy)". And merely evaluating "down(es.Dy)" gives me the same error as above:

Cannot evaluate expression.

Failed to evaluate operator.

• Operator: down

• Geometry: geom1

• Domain: 1

Could you kindly guide me what the correct method is to determine the surface charge density at an interface?

Thanks!

Best Regards, Deepankur Thureja

0 Replies Last Post Mar 25, 2020, 4:40 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Deepankur Thureja

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.