Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Studying bi-phase fluid motion in microfluidic channel

Pablo Garcia De Madinabeitia

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am struggling to simulate a bi-phase (phase initialization) flow study in which I want to see how far a fluid goes inside a narrowing pipe when a low pressure is set, and its motion through.

The attached file has the geometry that I want to simulate and the physics that I want to model. First, it has a broader region which is filled with water (contact angle is defined as 3pi/4). This very region is driven by 10 [mbar] pressure at the inlet (rectangle). Then it gets narrower as it advances to a 10x20 micron microchannel. Outlet is set as 0 [mbar] and no gravitatory forces are taken into account.

I would like to study the fluid montion in a time frame of 10 seconds (every 0.05 seconds).

I am quite uncertain what is wrong with my file in terms of physics setup (I believe it is a poorly conditioned problem, but cannot find the source). Indeed, it is a rather simple geometry with a not so-demanding calculation.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards, Pablo

0 Replies Last Post Aug 20, 2019, 6:43 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Pablo Garcia De Madinabeitia

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.