Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Resistance too high using frequency domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am new in Comsol and I am trying to realize a model of a common mode choke. My problem is that during the frequency study in order to calculate the losses of the ferromagnetic core I find a really high resistance of the coils (order of MegaOhm), so I find a really low magnetic field and a really low power. Someone can help me to find the solution? Thanks.

4 Replies Last Post Jul 23, 2019, 12:55 p.m. EDT

Posted: 5 years ago Jul 22, 2019, 8:56 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jul 22, 2019, 8:46 a.m. EDT

It would be better if you posted your file. You may get a better response.

It would be better if you posted your file. You may get a better response.

Posted: 5 years ago Jul 23, 2019, 8:26 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jul 23, 2019, 8:24 a.m. EDT

Sorry, I send the file with cleaned results to reduce the file size. My goal is to study the model in frequency domain. Thank you for helping me

Sorry, I send the file with cleaned results to reduce the file size. My goal is to study the model in frequency domain. Thank you for helping me

Posted: 5 years ago Jul 23, 2019, 9:38 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jul 23, 2019, 9:28 a.m. EDT

Just looking at it very briefly, on the coil domain setting did you intend for this to be a bundle of wires or single wire wound around a core? Homogenized multiturn is for tiny wire bundles. If that wass your intent then ok. Here is a good example to check out related to this:

https://www.comsol.com/model/multi-turn-coil-winding-around-a-ferromagnet-23641

I would also suggest that you disable the circuit option for now. You can solve this problem without it but activate it later when it model otherwise works. I find it easier to add complexity after the problem solves successfully. That way if something goes wrong you have a better chance of fixing it.

There are other example files to look at on the comsol website. I cannot spend a lot of time on this problem but maybe somebody else can help with more detail.

Just looking at it very briefly, on the coil domain setting did you intend for this to be a bundle of wires or single wire wound around a core? Homogenized multiturn is for tiny wire bundles. If that wass your intent then ok. Here is a good example to check out related to this: https://www.comsol.com/model/multi-turn-coil-winding-around-a-ferromagnet-23641 I would also suggest that you disable the circuit option for now. You can solve this problem without it but activate it later when it model otherwise works. I find it easier to add complexity after the problem solves successfully. That way if something goes wrong you have a better chance of fixing it. There are other example files to look at on the comsol website. I cannot spend a lot of time on this problem but maybe somebody else can help with more detail.

Posted: 5 years ago Jul 23, 2019, 12:55 p.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jul 23, 2019, 12:51 p.m. EDT

Thanks a lot for the help, yes I want to model a single wire around the ferromagnetic core. I think that the problem is caused by the geometry of the coils, so I did a second model using a toroidal geometry for the coils, now the resistance is quite smaller. Thank you again

Thanks a lot for the help, yes I want to model a single wire around the ferromagnetic core. I think that the problem is caused by the geometry of the coils, so I did a second model using a toroidal geometry for the coils, now the resistance is quite smaller. Thank you again

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.