Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Periodic Boundary condition in a multiphysics.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am new to COMSOL, and I was in a confusion about the boundary conditions applied to the multiphysics. I am working on a piezoelectric model and want to apply periodic BC to the model. Do I need to apply it from both physics (solid mechanics and electrostatics) or it is fine if I apply it from just solid mechanics. I also want to know about how to apply initial or external strains on points rather than domain.

Thanks

3 Replies Last Post Jul 23, 2019, 12:02 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago Jul 20, 2019, 6:29 p.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jul 20, 2019, 6:19 p.m. EDT

In most multiphysics cases, you need to apply the proper BCs for each type of physics in the model, not just for one of them, so that is probably true in your case too.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
In most multiphysics cases, you need to apply the proper BCs for each type of physics in the model, not just for one of them, so that is probably true in your case too.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Jul 22, 2019, 3:42 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jul 22, 2019, 3:38 a.m. EDT

Hi Abishek,

Initial/External strains is an intrinsically volumetric phenomenon, so applying it to points would be a meaningless operation. Probably it is some other effect that you are looking for here.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Abishek, Initial/External strains is an intrinsically volumetric phenomenon, so applying it to points would be a meaningless operation. Probably it is some other effect that you are looking for here. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 5 years ago Jul 23, 2019, 12:02 p.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jul 23, 2019, 11:52 a.m. EDT

Thanks henrik for the reply.

I want to apply a fixed amount of strain on specific points. I think the other way to apply it is to calculate displacement by the given strain and to give prescribed displacements at the points. Am i going in the right direction?

Thanks henrik for the reply. I want to apply a fixed amount of strain on specific points. I think the other way to apply it is to calculate displacement by the given strain and to give prescribed displacements at the points. Am i going in the right direction?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.