Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Transient analysis of particle flow with Fluid-Structure Interaction (FSI)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I would like to simulate the following scenario:

- flow around an oscillator (beam) -> Fluid-Structure-Interaction (FSI)
- particle tracking during oscillation of the beam
- capture (immobilization) when particle touches the beam's surface

I know, that particles can be introduced and tracked in post-processing. However, my scenario requires a simultaneous simulation of flow and particle flow. Furthermore, the particles should be captured and counted when they hit the beam's surface.

Would it be possible to simulate this scenario? Which COMSOL version and which COMSOL module would be necessary?

Thank you!

Cheers!

2 Replies Last Post Nov 23, 2011, 9:01 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Joe Ackerman

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 22, 2011, 2:01 p.m. EST
I am also new to Comsol but I hope I can be helpful. (since you got no reply at all)

- flow around an oscillator (beam) -> Fluid-Structure-Interaction (FSI)
There is already a good tutorial on this.Just go thru it..

- particle tracking during oscillation of the beam
After solution, you can add particle tracing with mass or particle tracing plots.It should plot with deformed steady state shape.

- capture (immobilization) when particle touches the beam's surface
There is a challenge on here. You can say stick to boundary walls but you can not define what walls not to stick.Particle keeps sticking on each other whereas in real life there may not be two particle on each other.If you have posts in a row in your channel, due to this problem next set of posts won't catch as many particles as they should.

Problems I had with post processor particle tracking are :
-Particle trajectory goes thru structure.I assume this is a plot problem.
-If you are using a laptop go with SSD..Once I switched to Vertex2 .I did not have a 'not responding problem" with comsol.Also be careful with your mouse driver..They cause problems..(You can not select certain items..windows move/disappear/appear)

Also read about direct simulation Monte Carlo (DSMC) method

Use most up to date version ..There is also a particle trajectory study but I have not used it yet.

Feel free to PM me.I am interested in collusion dynamics/probability in FSI
I am also new to Comsol but I hope I can be helpful. (since you got no reply at all) - flow around an oscillator (beam) -> Fluid-Structure-Interaction (FSI) There is already a good tutorial on this.Just go thru it.. - particle tracking during oscillation of the beam After solution, you can add particle tracing with mass or particle tracing plots.It should plot with deformed steady state shape. - capture (immobilization) when particle touches the beam's surface There is a challenge on here. You can say stick to boundary walls but you can not define what walls not to stick.Particle keeps sticking on each other whereas in real life there may not be two particle on each other.If you have posts in a row in your channel, due to this problem next set of posts won't catch as many particles as they should. Problems I had with post processor particle tracking are : -Particle trajectory goes thru structure.I assume this is a plot problem. -If you are using a laptop go with SSD..Once I switched to Vertex2 .I did not have a 'not responding problem" with comsol.Also be careful with your mouse driver..They cause problems..(You can not select certain items..windows move/disappear/appear) Also read about direct simulation Monte Carlo (DSMC) method Use most up to date version ..There is also a particle trajectory study but I have not used it yet. Feel free to PM me.I am interested in collusion dynamics/probability in FSI

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 23, 2011, 9:01 a.m. EST
Hallo Turk!

Thank you very much for your response and your help.

However, I am not using COMSOL for my simulations. I switched to Ansys CFX. I have the opportunity to run it on Sharcnet (www.sharcnet.ca) for free.

Cheers!
Hallo Turk! Thank you very much for your response and your help. However, I am not using COMSOL for my simulations. I switched to Ansys CFX. I have the opportunity to run it on Sharcnet (https://www.sharcnet.ca) for free. Cheers!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.