Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Assembling of matrix takes very long

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I'm trying to solve a (quite simple) 2D-axissym. model of a fixed bed reactor. I have four species where only three a actually taking part in the exothermic reaction. The chemistry is modeled in re (reaction engineering module) and exported to the 2D-model where I use the following modules: tds (transport diluted species), ht (heat transfer in fluids) and br (Brinkmann-equations).

As far as I can see, I set up the model correctly. But when I want to solve it, it takes hours to assemble the matrix!!!

Is this a normal behaviour? Or where could I start finding the mistake?

Thanks in advance! Till

4 Replies Last Post Sep 24, 2018, 5:14 a.m. EDT

Posted: 6 years ago Sep 21, 2018, 7:47 a.m. EDT

Found an interesting behaviour:

I simplified the calculation of the heat capacity of the mixture. I left out the temperature-pendency of the species and took averaged values.

Now it solves much much faster!

Found an interesting behaviour: I simplified the calculation of the heat capacity of the mixture. I left out the temperature-pendency of the species and took averaged values. Now it solves much much faster!

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago Sep 21, 2018, 9:25 a.m. EDT

Till,

that's not too surprising. A temperature dependent heat capacity makes the heat transfer physics nonlinear.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Till, that's not too surprising. A temperature dependent heat capacity makes the heat transfer physics nonlinear. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 6 years ago Sep 24, 2018, 4:04 a.m. EDT

Hi Edgar,

thanks for replying. But is this the effect that strong? Computing a solution with fixed Cp takes about 1 minute. With Cp(T) it takes several hours! BTW: I have modeled the heat conductivity also as a function of T in both cases. This doesn't affect the solution time at all...?

Cheers Till

Hi Edgar, thanks for replying. But is this the effect that strong? Computing a solution with fixed Cp takes about 1 minute. With Cp(T) it takes several hours! BTW: I have modeled the heat conductivity also as a function of T in both cases. This doesn't affect the solution time at all...? Cheers Till

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago Sep 24, 2018, 5:14 a.m. EDT

Till,

yes that is at least a little surprising. Is the derivative Cp(T)/dT nicely smooth?

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Till, yes that is at least a little surprising. Is the derivative Cp(T)/dT nicely smooth? Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.