Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal EHL thrust bearing model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Im currently working on a modelling a thrust bearing, and have used the example given in the model phyiscs.
My next step is to find the energy generated by the fluid domain before working out heat transferred to the pad.

The energy equation used being used is 0=d/dy(Kdt/dx) -p(du/dx +dv/dy +dw/dz) +mu((du/dy)^2+(dw/dz)^2)

At the moment I have been wanting to using the energy equations as a PDE, but have been having trouble to get this method to work.
Is one of the in-built physics better suited for this application? And if not how am I best inserting this equation into the PDE solver, so that the pressure and velocity gradient form the pad is first integrated through the fluid and then the energy equations is worked out through the fluid?

Thanks allot,
Ben

0 Replies Last Post Jun 1, 2011, 10:30 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Benjamin Rothwell

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.