Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

skin and proximity effects in 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I'm looking for a way to simulate skin effects and proximity effects in 3D in time dependent and/or frequency domain

It would be helpful if this could be done at least in the limits of very high and very low frequency

thanks

David

2 Replies Last Post Jun 1, 2011, 11:50 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 1, 2011, 4:57 a.m. EDT
Hi,

it can certainly be done.
Depending on the size of your structure and the wavelength you can use AC or RF. If you want to study details of skin and proximity effects you need to make sure your meshing is fine enough across the estimated skin depth of your material.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, it can certainly be done. Depending on the size of your structure and the wavelength you can use AC or RF. If you want to study details of skin and proximity effects you need to make sure your meshing is fine enough across the estimated skin depth of your material. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 1, 2011, 11:50 a.m. EDT

Thanks Edgar

I would be grateful if you could refer me to an example.

Skin effect is simple for eddy currents.

Problem is what happens in a conductor with a driven current.

The single and multi turn coil domains do this in axisymmetry but I need a 3D solution

thanks

David
Thanks Edgar I would be grateful if you could refer me to an example. Skin effect is simple for eddy currents. Problem is what happens in a conductor with a driven current. The single and multi turn coil domains do this in axisymmetry but I need a 3D solution thanks David

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.