Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Change location of COMSOL's virtual memory (out-of-core file)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear community,

I am currently trying to compare different mesh qualities and how the mesh affects the solution of the problem. So the point I am stuck right now is the finest mesh: The study with the fine mesh needs MUMPS to switch to "out of core" mode and allocate a lot of virtual memory. I have a 250GB SSD in my PC - the root directory (where Comsol is installed and the virtual memory is used) has now 20GB free space, which is not enough for the calculation. At the point, where all of the free space is filled with the out-of-core file the calculation failes with following error:

Failed to find a solution. Unable to read or write out-of-core file. Returned solution is not converged.

I tried to enlarge my systems swap with this approach (I am running comsol on Ubuntu 16.04 and I have free space at other disks / partitions): https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-increase-virtual-memory-in-linux

But I noticed, that comsol is not using the swap, but its own "out-of-core" memory file (if I understood that right).

Is there a possibility to tell comsol where to save that "swap-out-of-core-file" without repartitioning my disk or buying more RAM? ;-) It would also be possible to put this file into the systems swap which is 60GB right now and can be enlarged (I know that swap is slow, but better slow than not possible...)

If you need any information please let me know!

Thank you all for your time! Klaus

1 Reply Last Post Aug 18, 2018, 6:09 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jimi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago Aug 18, 2018, 6:09 a.m. EDT

Would appreciate if you can share the solution in the forum if you have solved the problem.

Even I get the same error and am using MUMPS/ out of core option. Failed to find a solution for the initial parameter. Unable to read or write out-of-core file. Returned solution is not converged. - Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1)

Best Regards, Gayathri

Would appreciate if you can share the solution in the forum if you have solved the problem. Even I get the same error and am using MUMPS/ out of core option. Failed to find a solution for the initial parameter. Unable to read or write out-of-core file. Returned solution is not converged. - Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1) Best Regards, Gayathri

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.