Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inducing a "diffusion"-like blur to smoothen sharp data peaks

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there, I'm currently working on a 2D-axisym. model of a droplet on a wall. The droplet consists of a certain species which starts building depositions on the wall, where the concentration of that species on the droplet-wall-interface is >50%.

The problem is that the meshpoints on the wall, where the species concentration is >50% are not very well distributed (only 1 / 2 meshpoints do have concentration >50%) and so there are really high, rather "unphysical" peaks of the concentration. So depositions are also build badly distributed.

At the moment to solve this issue I've induced a normal distribution (gaussian) to the concentration to get better distributed depositions. But this step of course is also "unphysical".

So my question is:

Is there a possibility to blur the >50% concentration peaks, so that it "diffuses" to the adjacent meshpoints as well? (As it would do when I solved a diffusion-equation for the problem itself) The blur should only affect the deposition building, but not backfire on the concentration itself.

Thank you very much in advance! I searched in the COMSOL community for approaches but I couldn't find any.

0 Replies Last Post Dec 15, 2017, 7:35 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Julius Breuer

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.