Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

DC Glow in a planar geometry initialisation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using the plasma module to model DC glow in argon using electrodes embedded in a substrate covered with a thin polymer film, it is driven by a 750V 1MHz source.

The model seems right but it (Study 2) fails to find consistant initial values even with zero voltage at the terminal suffers from a "divided by zero" error. I cannot figure out how to debug this error.

I have tried steps such as massivley increasing the extent of the argon and substrate regions to avoid significant voltage at the boundries, removing all voltage from the terminal, a variety of initial electron counts and voltages, varying film height and electrode seperation, switching solver, using a finer mesh, and initialising using a stationary solution (which is obviously inapplicable for a plasma simulation). Is there a way to step through the last few itterations of the initialisation to find where the error is occuring?

Can anyone suggest anything which may solve this issue?

2 Replies Last Post Sep 23, 2017, 11:23 a.m. EDT

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 17, 2017, 3:07 a.m. EDT
Hi,
I made these changes and the model no longer displays the "fails to find consistant initial values" error.
=> I have enabled for Ar initial value from mass constraints
=> I have enabled for Ar+ initial value from electro-neutrality constraints
=> Initial electron density to 1e13 1/m3
=> Solvers: maximum number of iterations = 100
Good luck
Hi, I made these changes and the model no longer displays the "fails to find consistant initial values" error. => I have enabled for Ar initial value from mass constraints => I have enabled for Ar+ initial value from electro-neutrality constraints => Initial electron density to 1e13 1/m3 => Solvers: maximum number of iterations = 100 Good luck

Posted: 7 years ago Sep 23, 2017, 11:23 a.m. EDT

In Plasma module the error "divided by zero" is usually caused by improper ICs for species.

In Plasma module the error "divided by zero" is usually caused by improper ICs for species.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.