Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

probe plots in separate windows

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey all,

I was told that the problem with probe plots plotting in the same window was solved in 4.0a. But, so far it looks it is still there.

Any workaround or a solution?

8 Replies Last Post Sep 16, 2010, 5:18 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 14, 2010, 4:37 p.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not sure what "solved" fully means, I made just two integrals probes, they ended up in the same table and then on the same graph (but my entities where of "same" type: 2 velocity norms from 2 different physics) perhaps you need to set them manully to the same "table", then they shoudl appear on the same graph.

I didnt even recalculate/resolve the model, as I used the "Definitions Update Probe" command

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure what "solved" fully means, I made just two integrals probes, they ended up in the same table and then on the same graph (but my entities where of "same" type: 2 velocity norms from 2 different physics) perhaps you need to set them manully to the same "table", then they shoudl appear on the same graph. I didnt even recalculate/resolve the model, as I used the "Definitions Update Probe" command -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 14, 2010, 4:40 p.m. EDT

Hi

I'm not sure what "solved" fully means, I made just two integrals probes, they ended up in the same table and then on the same graph (but my entities where of "same" type: 2 velocity norms from 2 different physics) perhaps you need to set them manully to the same "table", then they shoudl appear on the same graph.

I didnt even recalculate/resolve the model, as I used the "Definitions Update Probe" command

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi Ivar,

What I want is to plot 4 probes in 4 windows. Some of my probes are x10^-6 and the others are x10^1.
[QUOTE] Hi I'm not sure what "solved" fully means, I made just two integrals probes, they ended up in the same table and then on the same graph (but my entities where of "same" type: 2 velocity norms from 2 different physics) perhaps you need to set them manully to the same "table", then they shoudl appear on the same graph. I didnt even recalculate/resolve the model, as I used the "Definitions Update Probe" command -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi Ivar, What I want is to plot 4 probes in 4 windows. Some of my probes are x10^-6 and the others are x10^1.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 14, 2010, 5:05 p.m. EDT
Hi Danial

then try the opposite, once created as probes (but this is reset at each probe update) you will see a probe solution, and derived probe integrals, as well as "Derived values "Boundary probes" which you can redirect to a separate new table, and then you can create a new table plot entry and display them separately.

I agree seems cumbersome, but you can always rescale your varaibles, by changing units or asking for some multiples, to get all plots more or less of same order of magnitude (my usual way).

I agree it would be easier if we could define in the initial Definitions Probe a tick for common or new/individual table entry, perhaps a suggestion for 4.1 ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Danial then try the opposite, once created as probes (but this is reset at each probe update) you will see a probe solution, and derived probe integrals, as well as "Derived values "Boundary probes" which you can redirect to a separate new table, and then you can create a new table plot entry and display them separately. I agree seems cumbersome, but you can always rescale your varaibles, by changing units or asking for some multiples, to get all plots more or less of same order of magnitude (my usual way). I agree it would be easier if we could define in the initial Definitions Probe a tick for common or new/individual table entry, perhaps a suggestion for 4.1 ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 15, 2010, 4:12 a.m. EDT

Hi Danial

then try the opposite, once created as probes (but this is reset at each probe update) you will see a probe solution, and derived probe integrals, as well as "Derived values "Boundary probes" which you can redirect to a separate new table, and then you can create a new table plot entry and display them separately.

I agree seems cumbersome, but you can always rescale your varaibles, by changing units or asking for some multiples, to get all plots more or less of same order of magnitude (my usual way).

I agree it would be easier if we could define in the initial Definitions Probe a tick for common or new/individual table entry, perhaps a suggestion for 4.1 ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi Ivar,

So, you're saying that I can create separate tables only once the model is solved? I can not have 4 probe plots during solving?

Many thanks,
Danial

edit:
this was a quote from Comsol, but I think it is also post-processing, and not during solving.

Hello Danial,

By right clicking on the "Results" node, then selecting "1D Plot group". Then go to the new 1D plot Group by left-clicking it, and select the probe you want to see in the "Settings" window. Then right click the 1D plot group and add a point-Graph and you'll have your probe plot in a separate graph.

If you wish to evaluate the tabled-results in separate tables, then open the "Derived values" menu in the Results node by left-clicking the plus in front of it. Right-click the probe you want to see, choose "Evaluate => New table" and you're done !

Best regards,

Ruud Borger,
Comsol

Read more: Time plot of a parameter for a specific point in 2D - COMSOL www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/7523/#ixzz0zaIwBaFX
[QUOTE] Hi Danial then try the opposite, once created as probes (but this is reset at each probe update) you will see a probe solution, and derived probe integrals, as well as "Derived values "Boundary probes" which you can redirect to a separate new table, and then you can create a new table plot entry and display them separately. I agree seems cumbersome, but you can always rescale your varaibles, by changing units or asking for some multiples, to get all plots more or less of same order of magnitude (my usual way). I agree it would be easier if we could define in the initial Definitions Probe a tick for common or new/individual table entry, perhaps a suggestion for 4.1 ;) -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi Ivar, So, you're saying that I can create separate tables only once the model is solved? I can not have 4 probe plots during solving? Many thanks, Danial edit: this was a quote from Comsol, but I think it is also post-processing, and not during solving. [quote] Hello Danial, By right clicking on the "Results" node, then selecting "1D Plot group". Then go to the new 1D plot Group by left-clicking it, and select the probe you want to see in the "Settings" window. Then right click the 1D plot group and add a point-Graph and you'll have your probe plot in a separate graph. If you wish to evaluate the tabled-results in separate tables, then open the "Derived values" menu in the Results node by left-clicking the plus in front of it. Right-click the probe you want to see, choose "Evaluate => New table" and you're done ! Best regards, Ruud Borger, Comsol Read more: Time plot of a parameter for a specific point in 2D - COMSOL http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/7523/#ixzz0zaIwBaFX [/quote]

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 16, 2010, 1:43 a.m. EDT
Hi

I can only add: send the suggestions to "suggest" (separate from "support line" see the "contact page" on teir Web site)

For youre cas I suppose it's only the pre-scaling of the variables that can work just now (but that means you need to know about where these variables will be)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I can only add: send the suggestions to "suggest" (separate from "support line" see the "contact page" on teir Web site) For youre cas I suppose it's only the pre-scaling of the variables that can work just now (but that means you need to know about where these variables will be) -- Good luck Ivar

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 16, 2010, 4:04 a.m. EDT
Nice suggestion indeed, I was about to ask for the same feature. Did you submit the suggestion Danial, or not yet?
Nice suggestion indeed, I was about to ask for the same feature. Did you submit the suggestion Danial, or not yet?

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 16, 2010, 4:06 a.m. EDT

not yet :_)
[QUOTE] Nice suggestion indeed, I was about to ask for the same feature. Did you submit the suggestion Danial, or not yet? [/QUOTE] not yet :_)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 16, 2010, 5:18 a.m. EDT
Hi

then let us all three suggest it to "suggest".
COMSOL developpers are rather rapid to implement things ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi then let us all three suggest it to "suggest". COMSOL developpers are rather rapid to implement things ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.