Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

run problem for file translated from 3.5a to 4.0

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I conveted the tutorial problem from RF modue of 3.5a dielectric_scattering_PML into 4.0. When I ran it, it gave error as "can not evaluate expression" and listed a bunch of expressions such as:

mod1.rfweh.normE

Any pointer to overcome this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Susant

3 Replies Last Post Sep 11, 2010, 7:06 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 10, 2010, 5:19 a.m. EDT
Hi

first be sure you run the latest V4.0a patch 4.0.0.993 for me today, check the main COMSOL web sites for the updates

2nd not everything is translated corretly, as many names have changed, so older files might well need some tweaking.

I mostly translate an old file and start a new V4 session and then rebuild it in plain V4, by studying what the automatic translater did, applying it that way or using the new V4 features

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first be sure you run the latest V4.0a patch 4.0.0.993 for me today, check the main COMSOL web sites for the updates 2nd not everything is translated corretly, as many names have changed, so older files might well need some tweaking. I mostly translate an old file and start a new V4 session and then rebuild it in plain V4, by studying what the automatic translater did, applying it that way or using the new V4 features -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 10, 2010, 3:00 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Thanks. I will run with latest patch and check. I will follow your second advise regarding building from scratch. Only problem will be related to the comsol's internal variable names. I hope they have kept the names same.

Regads,
Susant
Hi Ivar, Thanks. I will run with latest patch and check. I will follow your second advise regarding building from scratch. Only problem will be related to the comsol's internal variable names. I hope they have kept the names same. Regads, Susant

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 11, 2010, 7:06 a.m. EDT
Hi

Unfortunately, (but I can also say it's expected) the names are not all the same.
First of all they have changed the naming convention to the "structure" approach:

"solid.rho" (V4) instead of "rho_smsld" (V3.5) for the density "rho"

but then many "physical" variables have the same names, however there are many more, hence some corrections to avoid duplicates.

Turn on the equation view in V4, unfortunately we cannot sort the names alphabetically , nor C&P in the columns (would be nice and very helpful ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Unfortunately, (but I can also say it's expected) the names are not all the same. First of all they have changed the naming convention to the "structure" approach: "solid.rho" (V4) instead of "rho_smsld" (V3.5) for the density "rho" but then many "physical" variables have the same names, however there are many more, hence some corrections to avoid duplicates. Turn on the equation view in V4, unfortunately we cannot sort the names alphabetically , nor C&P in the columns (would be nice and very helpful ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.